Self-cleaning aquariums allow lazy aquatic life lovers to own fish without having to worry about frequent cleaning and maintenance.
The problems with fish tanks and aquariums are the cost eaten up by maintenance and cleaning sessions that you can simply never skip.
Skip one water change or cleaning routine, and you might put your precious fish’s life at risk.
Now, that is unacceptable!
Thus, this complete guide has been put together to help you discover the various aspects of self-cleaning aquariums and choose one from the best available in the market so that your fish will not have to face any problems.
What Is a Self-Cleaning Aquarium?
Why is a self-cleaning aquarium known as an aquatic life enthusiast’s ultimate dream?
This is largely because these tanks prevent the hassle of frequent cleaning.
Fish tanks and aquariums, big or small, all require weekly, bi-weekly or bi-monthly cleaning.
Not only does this consume time, but the effort can be tiresome too! Miss one cleaning session, and you have essentially stressed out your fish. If you think there is no escaping this tedious task, this article is for you!
With self-cleaning aquariums, you can avoid the time and effort that is necessary for cleaning. As the name suggests, these aquariums are powered to ensure self-cleaning, mitigating the need for manual cleaning.
But How Do They Work?
Self-cleaning aquariums function with the help of ‘aquaponics,’ a combination of aquaculture and hydroponics. The setup comprises of 3 sections: one for plants, one for aquatic life and one for bacteria.
The waste from the fish is used as a fertilizer by plants, and it also helps purify the water from unwanted particles. The nitrogen cycle makes use of bacteria to get rid of ammonia and nitrate, the extensive dosage of which can kill both plants and fish species.
The conception of aquaponics dates back to the ancient Mayan and Aztec civilizations. The idea has gained popularity in the recent times and is now being used in backyard ponds and fish farms.
Types of Self-Cleaning Aquariums
The differentiation of self-cleaning aquariums is based on the maintenances system that each one features.
Basically, there are two broad categories:
These tanks operate using the rules of physics. A pump is placed within the tank to capture dirty water, while fresh and clean water may be added to substitute the lost water. Waste products, debris, and other material sink to the bottom of the tank, which are trapped by the pump and sucked out. The pump does not capture fish, only the waste and dirty water.
2. Water Garden
This type of aquarium has a small garden floating over the top. The waste from fish is used by these plants as fertilizers, keeping the water clean and purified at all times.
You may choose to buy either of these technologically powered self-cleaning fish tanks. Each one works efficiently and prevents manual cleaning if that is what you are worried about.
Who Is It For?
This is quite a funny question, isn’t it? Who likes cleaning?
Thus, self-cleaning aquariums are not limited to any particular audience.
If you like cleaning your aquarium but are busy with your work schedule and house errands, you can own one of these low-maintenance fish tanks.
A self-cleaning aquarium seems like a suitable choice for one of the following reasons:
- If you are not the type of person who can keep up with the cleaning requirements of most fish tanks or aquariums
- If you have a busy work/home schedule and you cannot ensure regular cleaning of your fish aquarium
- If you stay away from your home for the most part of the day
- If you are a beginner aquatic life keeper or way too young to keep up with the requirements of a fish tank without anyone else to help you
- If you are forgetful of your duties and responsibilities
If you fall in one of the above-mentioned categories of people but are passionate about aquatic life, you should definitely grab yourself a self-cleaning aquarium.
Benefits of Self-Cleaning Aquariums
The concept of self-cleaning aquariums came into being considering the need for frequent cleaning. There are also other benefits of keeping these small, low-maintenance fish tanks, which are as follows:
The best benefit is that these self-sufficient fish tanks do not require constant attention from their owners.
Fish tanks require time for thorough cleaning once every week and sometimes even more frequently.
Mind you, you can’t be done with cleaning sessions in a matter of minutes; a little more time needs to be spared to attend to fish tanks. If you cannot spare time for manual cleaning, self-cleaning aquariums are the optimal choice.
In addition to saving time, these aquariums are usually effortless to use.
They operate on their own and clean on their own.
There is no need to remove gravel, decoration or the fish themselves for cleaning, as is otherwise the requirement with other tanks.
These tanks can be cleaned without you touching anything within. Basically, you are not required to do much; the tank cleans itself either using a water garden approach or with the help of a gravity-based system.
Self-cleaning aquariums are best for lazy owners, as they do tend to skip the frequent cleaning sessions, leading to stressful conditions for the fish. Be honest with yourself. If you cannot spare the effort or time, do not put the fish’s life at risk.
Ensure Timely Cleaning
These aquariums are cleaned on a timely basis. With other fish tanks, if you have missed one or two cleaning sessions, it ends up bad for the plants and fish within.
However, with these ones, cleaning happens as required and on time. Thus, you can be assured your fish will have clean water and a clean environment at all times.
Keep the Fish Happy
When the water is polluted from fish waste and there is a high concentration of ammonia and nitrate in the tank, fish become stressed and their longevity may even be affected.
One of the many reasons why fish die earlier than their average life expectancy in tanks is the stressful conditions within them.
With a regular and timely cleaning of the tank, the fish tend to remain happy and healthy and may even live longer.
Not as Noisy as Other Fish Tanks
With other fish tanks, there is too much going on in the background and within the tank, so there is unnecessary noise pollution.
Self-cleaning fish tanks avoid unwanted noise as they use a simplistic maintenance technology. As a result, these aquariums are more peaceful than other fish tanks and aquariums.
Their petite size may also be an attribute that leads to lower noise creation and pollution. Thus, you can place these aquariums in places where tranquility and a peaceful environment are preferred features.
Drawbacks of Self-Cleaning Aquariums
Fish tanks are not without their drawbacks and so is the case with self-cleaning aquariums.
These tanks, despite major benefits, come equipped with a few negatives too. These have been identified as follows:
Limited Fish Growth
These self-cleaning aquariums are manufactured in smaller sizes to house bettas or no more than a few tiny fish species.
Thus, space can become an issue for fish growth. Even for a single small fish, the small size could limit its growth, thereby leading to a short lifespan.
If you keep more than a few fish in a small tank, fish growth may again be restrained. Aggressive fish require more space to swim around and live, and space is a prerequisite for a happy and healthy fish.
Small tanks do not come with great stability for water chemistry and temperature control.
Fluctuations are prevalent and frequent adjustments are commonplace. pH levels have to be kept within limits and temperature needs to be maintained at a certain level to avoid creating a toxic environment for the fish and plants.
You might even be required to buy a heater for the tank to keep temperature stable. However, this is not a common occurrence with large fish aquariums.
Changing the Water Is Necessary
Despite being known as self-cleaning fish tanks, these aquariums require one-time maintenance on an annual or bi-annual basis and water changes more frequently as well.
You may only have to pour in some fresh water every now and then, which still counts as cleaning.
Furthermore, these tanks require cleaning from the outside as well. Dirt and dust particles will stick to the exterior walls, and this is something that can only be cleaned manually. The interior cleaning mechanism will not be able to do the job.
Size Is an Issue
As already mentioned, if you intend to keep more than a few fish, self-cleaning aquariums may not serve the purpose adequately.
These tanks come in small sizes and are optimal for small fish species, maybe one or two in each tank.
If you have more than a few species, it’s best to go for large fish tanks.
What’s the point of buying several small fish tanks to keep all your fish when they can all be housed in one big aquarium? Furthermore, a large aquarium will not cost you as much as separate small aquariums will, so why go out of budget?
As mentioned there are a few drawbacks that you’ll come across when choosing self-cleaning aquariums.
A few of these tanks may not perform as well as intended or as claimed by the manufacturer, so watch out!
Remember to do your research, identify your needs, set a budget, and make a rational and wise purchase decision. Make sure you get value for money.
Suitable Fish Species
Self-cleaning aquariums are recommended for beginners or people who have never tried high-maintenance fish tanks.
Since these require low maintenance, you must choose the fish carefully.
Some fish species require frequent maintenance and tank cleaning than others. Furthermore, the small size of these tanks makes bigger fish survival questionable.
Thus, here’s a list of suitable fish that you can choose to keep in your small, self-cleaning, low-maintenance aquarium without any second thoughts. These fish are easy dwellers, require less attention, and keep the natural habitat of the tank intact.
These fish species are the most adaptable of all and make for quite the amicable neighbors. They are not aggressive around other fish and feed on algae, thereby keeping the tank clean.
If you want to add colors to your fish tank, there is no better option than a swordtail. Its non-aggressive attitude makes it a friendly creature to coexist with other fish. It does not require stringent environmental conditions and nutrition to stay alive.
These are fast-paced and algae-eating fish that can help clean up the tank pretty quickly.
However, Plecos need space to grow, so too small tanks may seem a little size-restraining. Thus, make sure you get a suitable option for it.
These fish can eat virtually anything including algae, so you know who to ask for help when it comes to cleaning the fish tank – it’s the platies!
These fish come in a variety of colors, so add a few of these to your tank and make it all the more beautiful.
These fish love to swim around and they do groupies! You can have as many as 6 of these in your fish tank. They are colorful, low-maintenance and live long on average.
Another one from the tetra family is the bloodfin. It’s a small 2-inch fish that can survive for up to 5 years. These are low-maintenance fish that make great companions in a small self-cleaning fish tank!
The Hoplo lends a helping hand when it comes to cleaning the tank. They feed on droppings from other fish as well as algae. Thus, if you need a hand, bring in the Hoplo!
You can decide to keep one or more of these fish in your self-cleaning aquarium or keep bettas if they are your personal favorite.
Just make sure the fish is not aggressive or high-maintenance and requires space to grow to its optimal size; such species may not be able to survive in a small tank, such as this one.
Top 10 Self-Cleaning Aquariums to Choose From
Now that we have covered the fundamental sections, it’s time to list down the best self-cleaning aquariums that you can get your hands on. Each one has its features, pros, and cons given under it to help you make an informed decision.
1. AquaSprouts Garden
- The AquaSprouts Garden is a self-sustaining aquarium & aquaponics kit for the home, office or school
- Fish fertilize the plants. Plants clean the water for the fish. Fits any standard 10-gallon aquarium
- Grow a variety of veggies, herbs, greens and decorative plants all year long
- Perfect tool to explore how our natural environment works. Specialized teacher curricula available
- This updated model includes adjustable drain extenders to quiet water flow
It’s amongst the most viable aquaponic fish tanks available in the market. The AquaSprouts is a commercially designed aquarium that makes for an ideal home décor.
It allows aquatic enthusiasts as well as children to practice exotic gardening while maintaining a safe, healthy and happy environment for the fish.
- Product weight: 24 pounds
- Product dimensions: 28 x 8 x 17 inches
- Package includes: AquaSprouts Garden, light bar, pump & timer, grow media and instructions manual
- Capacity: 10 gallons
- Color: Black (matte)
- It can house more than a single fish in its mini herb garden
- It features a sleek, modern and aesthetically appealing design, complementing your home décor
- It comes with a removable light mount
- It is equipped with a submersible pump and mechanical timer, all covered by the warranty
- It is available at a reasonable price, despite its modern appearance
- The company ensure excellent customer support and aftersales service
- The grow media features unmatched durability, so it won’t downgrade
- It’s not a noise-free tank alternative. Water splashes may be loud and disturbing to some ears
- You may be required to check out installation videos, as that definitely is a challenge with this fish tank.
2. BiOrb Flow
- Constructed Out of Acrylic - 10 times stronger than glass, 50% lighter and has a 93% transparency rating.
- True 5 Stage Filtration - Biological, Mechanical, Chemical, Water Stabilization and Oxygenation.
- Low Voltage - All biOrb aquariums operate from a 12V Transformer.
- age range description: All Life Stages
This one is shaped like a typical fishbowl but has features that exceed one. It has an upgraded, modern design that allows quick matching with the home décor. This self-cleaning aquarium can house more than a single fish species and provides 2 size options.
It comes powered with a 5-stage self-cleaning mechanism that uses chemical and biological filtration to clean the tank. It is, hence, the most likable tank out there, which combines traditional design with contemporary cleaning mechanisms.
- Product weight: 7 pounds
- Product dimensions: 15.5 x 10.2 x 14.8 inches
- Package includes: Aquarium, 12V transformer, pump, airstone, ceramic media, filter cartridge, water conditioner, bacteria liquid and LED unit.
- Capacity: Available in 2 sizes: 4 gallons & 8 gallons
- Material: Acrylic
- Color: Black
- This tank has quite the aesthetic appeal that you won’t get with other similar fish tanks
- It only requires some basic maintenance. The filter cartridge needs to be replaced with one-third water every 4 weeks
- The opening provided in the front allows feeding
- A separate gap has been made within to insert a tank heater if required
- It comes equipped with an LED lamp and air pump, so assembly is quick, simple and effortless
- Smaller fish may get caught up in the filter
- It requires technical expertise
- The cost of frequent filter replacement seems high
- It may not be the optimal choice for amateurs
3. EcoQubeC Aquarium
- Best aquarium on amazon ✅ handmade beautiful living decor for office desk, cubicle, or home
- Low maintenance ✅ aquaponics techn makes your betta fish tank a clean self-sustained ecosystem
- 1 year warranty ✅ we've got your back, if anything breaks contact us & we'll replace it for free
- Aquarium starter kit ✅ includes: Remote for led lights, plant medium, integrated aquaponics filter
- Easy setup ✅ add seeds or green onion, add water, plug in & watch your shrimp or fish tank thrive
This one is a desktop aquarium that has been specifically designed to house betta fish. It has been a popular choice among customers and has numerous positive reviews. It makes for the ultimate décor in the house or at the office. You can let your children play with it and handle it as they like.
It’s the best no-maintenance fish tank by Aqua Design Innovations.
The fish must be fed with adequate intervals, and water changes are also mandatory. The rest is all taken care of by the self-cleaning mechanisms.
- Product weight: 6.05 pounds
- Product dimensions: 7.5 x 7.5 x 9 inches
- Package includes: EcoQubeC Aquarium, remote (for LED lights), plant medium and an integrated aquaponics filter
- Capacity: 1 gallon
- Warranty: 1 year
- This tank is among the best self-cleaning aquariums for being effortless
- It comes with a stylish design that complements your home décor
- The LED lights have variable settings, so change them in accordance with your mood or weather
- It’s small and portable
- It’s one of those noise-free fish tanks that promote a peaceful ambiance
- The acrylic panels enable a clear view of the inside of the tank, which is no less a visual treat
- The old version does not support all accessories included with this model
- Customer support is lacking since the company is a startup
4. Back to the Roots Water Garden
- Bring the garden inside with the Back to the Roots Water Garden. This mini aquaponic tank is a closed-loop ecosystem — the betta fish waste fertilizes the plants on top, and the plants filter and clean the water for your fish — not your average betta fish bowl!
- Aquaponics is the combination of aquaculture, or fish farming, and hydroponics, or growing plants in nutrient-rich water. The fish excrete ammonia that would become toxic to the fish in a regular fish bowl. In the Water Garden, the ammonia-rich waste is pumped up to the grow bed and absorbed by the plants, helping them grow twice as fast as in traditional farming! The clean water is then filtered back to the tank, creating a low-maintenance, self-cleaning cycle to foster a healthy fish and herb garden.
- The Water Garden aquaponic kit comes with everything you need to get started including: 3-gallon fish tank, organic wheatgrass and radish sprout seeds, a coupon for your betta fish, fish food, natural fertilizer, a silent, submersible water pump, gravel, and growstones.
- Learn more about the science inside your fish tank — download the Water Garden curriculum at backtotheroots.com for lessons on the history of aquaponics, how it works, and the benefits of home and commerical aquaponics.
- Grow One, Give One! Submit a photo of your growing Water Garden for a chance to win one for a classroom of your choice through Back to the Roots’ monthly giveaway. Upload your photo at backtotheroots.com/giveone.
This one features a mini-ecosystem that helps grow food for the fish within the tank. It comes equipped with the necessary organic ingredients that produce feed within the tank. Thus, you get not only a self-cleaning aquarium but also an entire self-feeding package to go with it.
It’s affordable and sustainable at the same time. The only thing missing is probably the fish, but hey, it offers a betta coupon for that too. What more could you ask for?
- Product weight: 3.2 pounds
- Product dimensions: 13.3 x 9.4 x 13.3 inches
- Package includes: Fish tank, organic wheatgrass, radish sprout seeds, betta fish coupon, fish food, natural fertilizer, water pump, gravel, and grow stones
- Capacity: 3 gallons
- Technology: Water garden
- It comes equipped with 4 power slots, so you can attach heaters, lights, and other accessories
- It uses the aquaponics technology to keep the ecosystem sustainable for most fish and plant
- It has a self-filtering system that makes cleaning easy and quick
- It’s overall a user-friendly self-cleaning aquarium
- It makes for a great learning tool for elementary school kids
- The filter needs cleaning on a regular basis
- The grow stones provided with the kit must be maintained more often than necessary to prevent mold from forming
- Water changes for this aquarium are more frequent
5. Eco-Cycle Aquaponics Indoor Garden System
- Grow fresh organic produce all year long on your 20 gallon fish tank with no water changes
- Fish fertilize the plants. Plants clean the water for the fish in this closed loop, sustainable system
- Advanced, programmable LED lights help your plants grow faster using less energy. 4 grow settings, remote control, and built in timer give you the most efficient, easy to use system available
- Instructional videos, email and phone support included. Tank not included
- Excellent learning tool for all ages with curriculum offered for teachers
This one comes with an enormous capacity, unlike those 10-gallon fish tanks. Thus, if your own more than a few fish, this tank has to be the ideal choice. You can watch instructional videos to set it up, which is not that big of a challenge anyways. A curriculum has also been included to enable classroom learning with the help of this self-cleaning tank.
- Product weight: 17 pounds
- Product dimensions: 24 x 12 x 20 inches
- Package includes: Fish tank, remote control, 4 grow settings, and built-in timer
- Capacity: 20 gallons
- Technology: Water garden
- It comes with a light and filtration system
- It enables easy and simple setup and use
- It makes for elegant home décor. You can also use it to embellish your office desk
- All it requires is frequent water change, and the self-cleaning mechanism takes care of the rest
- It has been manufactured using premium-quality material and components
- The company has a great reputation for customer support and aftersales service
- The automatic feeder may be a challenge
- Internal cleaning is a tricky process
6. Springworks Microfarm Aquaponic Garden
- A self-sustaining aquaponic system for the home, office, or classroom.
- An indoor solution for growing herbs and vegetables throughout the year.
- Great tool for classrooms, teaching students about how ecosystems work.
- Fits any standard 10-gallon aquarium. Aquarium not included.
- Kit includes: A grow bed, tank lid and all of the necessary fittings, lightweight clay aggregate in which your plants will grow, a preset timer to be used for the pump or light, a rugged, quiet, and efficient pump to move water up to your plants, all-natural de-chlorinator, a beneficial bacteria additive to start turning fish waste to plant food, all-natural food for your fish friends, organic non-GMO Sweet Basil and Oregano seeds, and an integrated high output light and reflector assembly.
The Microfarm makes for a great indoor garden and is one of the finest aquaponics gardens available in the market. It fits on top of a 10-gallon aquarium, which has to be purchased separately. If an automatic feeder is installed, it may easily be converted into a self-sustaining system.
- Product weight: 20.1 pounds
- Product dimensions: 21 x 16 x 12 inches
- Package includes: Grow bed, LED lighting, water treatment kit, organic basil and oregano seeds
- Capacity: 10 gallons
- Color: Black
- Technology: Water Garden
- It requires a basic setup
- It is aesthetic
- It enables a healthy and happy environment for the fish
- The tank is not included in the package
- It can turn out to be an expensive buy
7. Penn-Plax Aquaponic
- Plastic plant holder with ceramic substrate planting material
- Planter can create a healthy habitat for betta fish by replicating nature's cycle
- Plant above purifies water and absorbs fish waste as nourishment
- Betta fish tank is easy to clean; planter is simple to remove when needed. Can be used as a planter alone for many water thirsty plants
- Recommended for betta, goldfish, bloodfin tetra, and white cloud minnow
One of the cheapest self-cleaning aquariums in the market, it features a basic, cylindrical design. It has been used by most customers as a mini-garden placed indoors. However, if you have more than a single fish to keep, this tank may seem too small.
- Product weight: 2.6 pounds
- Product dimensions: 7.9” D x 10” H
- Capacity: Available in 2 sizes: 0.5 gallons & 1.4 gallons
- Material: Plastic (contains a ceramic substrate)
- Ideal fish species: Betta, danios, white cloud minnows, bloodfin tetra, and goldfish
- It makes for an elegant fish tank in the house or on the office desk
- It comes at a reasonable price
- The plant holder may easily be removed to clean the tank
- It comes with a 100-percent money-back guarantee
- It’s simple to use and maintain and very user-friendly
- It may be too small to house more than a single fish
- This fish tank are purchased largely for plants, not fish
- The package had not been delivered intact to a few customers
- Substrate might fall into the tank
8. As Seen on TV My Fun Fish Tank
- It's the aquarium that cleans itself
- A great gift for first-time pet owners
- Just pour clean water in and watch as dirty water pours out through the disposal Tube
- This self-cleaning Fish Tank is the perfect low-maintenance
This one has been manufactured for children and beginners, specifically. The unique design makes for quick and interactive learning about how to care for your favorite fish pets.
It comes powered with a gravity cleaning mechanism, so cleaning is extremely self-sufficient. A container needs to be set up to capture dirty water, but that’s all. It has been designed in the shape of a plastic water pitcher, so it makes for a great artsy piece for perhaps the kitchen slab.
- Product weight: 1 pound
- Product dimensions: 4.5 x 4.5 x 10 inches
- Capacity: 0.5 gallons
- Material: Clear plastic
- Ideal fish species: Betta or guppy
- This a relatively inexpensive purchase
- It requires basic maintenance, making it ideal for beginners, young aquatic enthusiasts, and children
- It may be used as a decoration in the house or at the office
- It’s small and very portable
- It’s probably the most low-maintenance product in the market in this category
- It requires challenging assembly, which is not manageable by everyone
- Water conditioner has to be added to the tank more frequently than other tanks
- It’s small, so you cannot house more than a fish or two
9. NoClean Aquariums GravityFlow
- Simply pour clean water in and dirty water flows out! Cleans itself in 60 seconds!... it's so easy a child can do i!
- Patented cleaning system runs on Gravity! No noise, expensive replacement filters or unsightly cords!
- FREE BONUS ACCESSORIES! Copper Spout & White Vanity Ring & Tip Set!
- BEST VALUE Starter Kit Includes: Self-Cleaning Aquarium, NCA Approved Polished Stones and IllumaFlex LED Light
- Made in the USA from thick, sturdy glass!
Here’s another gravity-based model that has been designed using glass. Glass makes for an elegant choice of material for constructing fish tanks, relative to plastic. You may simply assign the water changing task to your kids because it entails nothing complicated. It makes for an artsy piece to use within the bedroom or living room, wherever you like.
- Product weight: 6 pounds
- Product dimensions: 4.5 x 4.5 x 11.5 inches
- Package includes: Aquarium, polished stones and IllumaFlex LED light
- Capacity: 1 gallon
- Material: Glass
- Ideal fish species: Betta only
- Technology: Gravity-based
- It’s pretty straight-forward in terms of maintenance
- It makes for great decoration, especially when the lights are dim and the LED shines brightest
- It offers exceptional customer care and aftersales service
- It makes for an ideal silent fish tank
- Its self-cleaning system wipes out all dirt in a matter of 60 seconds
- It is made from a durable glass material
- Replacements filters are expensive
- It’s an expensive self-cleaning, gravity-based aquarium
10. Alician Self-Cleaning Tank
- Smooth surface and corners,do not hurt the hand,reliable use.
- Perfect decoration for living room,office,home,bed room,etc.
- Food grade plastic material,safe and portable, durable and anti fall, high transparency, achieve 360 degrees without dead angle viewing.
- Equipped with led light,make a beautiful light.When used at the first time£¬remove the inside slip,tighten and the lamp light;loosen and light is off.
- Magic self-cleaning function,do not need to catch fish and change water.Add a cup of water every day,increase oxygen and clean .Easy to install and handle, suitable for children and the elderly.
You can buy this plastic self-cleaning fish tanks in two different shapes, round with smooth edges or square. The round shape allows a 360-degree view of the inside. The cleaning process uses the gravity-based mechanism, where you may only be required to add a cup of water on a daily basis to let in oxygen.
- Product weight: 6 pounds
- Product dimensions: 14.5 cm D x 24 cm H
- Available in square and round shapes
- Capacity: 0.6 gallons
- Package includes: Fish tank, connecting pipe, filter net, artificial aquatic plant, cobblestone, and LED lamp
- Material: Clear plastic
- Technology: Gravity-based
- It is made from a safe, durable and anti-fall plastic material
- All it requires is change of water to allow the self-cleaning mechanism to become active
- Easy to install and use
- The round fish tank comes with smooth edges, which is safe for use by the elderly and children
- It’s small and portable
- It may house only one fish
FAQs About Self-Cleaning Aquariums
If you have read till here, you might be somewhat convinced as to which self-cleaning aquarium you should get for your home or office. However, there could be a few questions, queries or confusions that you might be struggling with. If so, check out the following FAQ section, as it aims to clarify most of the common queries that may give you a hard time.
1. How Can I Ensure a Safe and Healthy Tank Environment?
This is not at all a complicated task. It’s almost the same as with other tanks. All you need is a test kit to monitor the pH levels and keep an eye out for ammonia/nitrate concentrations. Furthermore, a heater may be required to keep the water temperature stable.
The environment may be kept healthy and safe by ensuring frequent water changes. Try to use de-chlorinated water for the plants and fish. If you have kept plants in these aquariums, use LED lights with sufficient output. Lastly, avoid keeping these aquariums under direct sunlight. You are only stressing out the fish by making this mistake.
2. Are These Tanks Only Suitable for Beginners?
Yes, these tanks are suitable and highly recommended for beginners. However, they may be used by expert aquatic enthusiasts as well. There is no restriction on who can use self-cleaning tanks. These tanks are small and easy to handle and require low maintenance, making them ideal choices for amateurs.
These tanks can be kept at your home in your kid’s bedroom and make for exceptionally beautiful pieces for the office too! Aquaponics is now being extensively used for large-scale fish farming as well. As more and more people embrace the concept, it will contribute to sustainable farming of different fish species and aquatic plants, making them suitable for everyone.
3. What Features Must I Look For When Choosing These Tanks?
The design takes precedence when you decide to buy a self-cleaning aquarium. These small aquariums can complement the décor of your office or house, so the design is a paramount consideration.
Next up, functionality is essential. If the tanks do not operate as intended or claimed, they are useless. The tank has to perform its function and do it better than the other aquariums in the market.
Lastly, the size is of great importance. If you have more than a few fish species to keep within the tank, avoid cramping up the space with small aquariums. Choose a size suitable for the fish and consider maintenance costs and budget for your choice of size.
4. Can Live Plants Be Kept Inside the Aquarium?
Yes! You may adorn your self-cleaning fish tank using artificial or live plants, whatever you like. For live plants, it’s best to use low-light plants since they encourage algae growth and sustainability of plants. Live plants require light for growth, but direct sunlight is again a bad option. Choose the right LED lighting for the aquarium. If needed, consult an expert on this.
Just make sure to use plants that allow normal debris formation, as too much debris from dead plants may not be cleaned by the self-cleaning mechanism as efficiently. There is no need to overcrowd the place with plants; just keep enough!
5. What Supplies Are Required for Making a DIY Self-Cleaning Aquarium?
If you choose to make a DIY self-cleaning aquarium, you will need the following essential supplies:
- Small net
- Water conditioner
- Food for the fish
- Live or artificial plants
With substrate, make sure to add rocks and gems that work well with the fish and plants placed within the aquarium.
6. How Many Fish Can I Fit in One Tank?
Small fish tanks that are low maintenance can house smaller fish species, but not too many of them. For really small tanks, one betta is suitable. If you wish to keep more fish, choose larger tanks. A few fish cannot survive in small spaces, as they tend to grow in size and are aggressive in nature. Hence, try to choose from one of the fish species mentioned in the article, and try to keep the quantity to no more than 1 or 2.
The less crowded your tank, the healthier it will be. If there are too many fish within a single tank, there may be more waste. As a result, the cleaning mechanism may collapse, unable to clean all of this waste.
7. Are These Tanks Really Silent?
These self-cleaning tanks are different from usual tanks that use aeration and filtration. These mechanisms tend to cause that normal humming noise wherever the aquarium is kept. Some tanks tend to cause more noise than others, depending on the filtration technology being used.
The positive of a self-cleaning tank is that you won’t even feel the water pumping in or out. It is virtually silent. The pump is quiet. You can look for the most silent tanks available in the market if noise pollution is something you cannot put up with.
6. Is It Really a No-Maintenance Tank?
This is probably the biggest misconception regarding self-cleaning tanks. These come equipped with self-cleaning mechanisms, but that does not mean you ought to free yourself from maintenance. Infrequent maintenance is essential for all types of tanks, even these ones. You will be required to check LEDs, algae growth, the exterior and other components to see whether repair or maintenance is required.
Moreover, if you intend to have your fish and plants survive for longer, maintenance is a must-have. Maybe not as frequently as with other tanks, but it’s still a requirement.
If this buying guide was useful, you must have already made your mind about which self-cleaning aquarium is your optimal choice for either home or office. If not, consider the specification, pros, and cons of each one and decide which one matches your needs closely. That’s the one you have been searching for!
Have more questions? Be sure to visit our community forums.